NASMHPD Annual 2016 Commissioners Meeting
NASMHPD held its 2016 Annual Commissioners Meeting on August 6-8, 2016, in Arlington, Virginia. Select presentations from the meeting are available for viewing below.
Publications of Interest
- Being Seen!: Establishing Deaf to Deaf Peer Support Services and Training
- The Vital Role of State Psychiatric Hospitals
- Responding to a High-Profile Tragic Incident Involving a Person with a Serious Mental Illness
Sunday, August 7, 2016:
"Being Seen! Peer Support for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Communities"
- "A Journey to light of hope", by Marnie P. Fougere
- Being Seen! Deaf to Deaf Peer Support Services & Training Successes and Lessons Learned - presentation by Marnie Fougere, Lucille Traina and Deborah Delman
- Peer Support Videos:
"Zero Suicide: State Innovations and the Role of Crisis Hotlines to Move Zero Suicide Forward"
- Zero Suicide in Health and Behavioral Healthcare - What is Zero Suicide?
- Zero Suicide: Utah's Experience - presentation by Doug Thomas
- Suicide Prevention in New York State: Zero Suicide Initiative - presentation by Ann Sullivan
- The Central Role of Crisis Contact Centers in State and Local Suicide Prevention Efforts - presentation by Shari Sinwelski
- Video on the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline's Facebook Initiative
"Preparation and Legislative Background for Dialog with Federal Leaders"
- NASMHPD Government Affairs - presentation by Stuart Gordon
- Guide Consulting Services - presentation by Katrina Velasquez
Monday, August 8, 2016:
"Dialogue with the Administrator of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)"
"The Use of Clozapine to Support Community Care"
- Clozapine for Treating Schizophrenia: A Comparison of the States - presentation by E. Fuller Torrey
- Clozapine Underutilization: Addressing the Barriers -presentation by Deanna Kelly
"Disaster Behavioral Health Response: Lessons Learned from State Experiences"
- Tragedy in the Sanctuary - presentation by Deborah Blalock
- Disaster Behavioral Health Response: Orlando Mass Shooting - presentation by John Bryant
"CMS Priorities and Strategies to Further Strengthen the Federal, State Mental Health Agency, and State Medicaid Partnership"
- Medicaid Collaboration - presentation by Thomas Betlach
- Tactical Considerations for Medicaid Policy Change - presentation by Tracy Plouck
- Medicaid and Behavioral Health: Moving Forward - presentation by Michael Nardone
"NASMHPD Research Institute (NRI): Latest Trends in State Mental Health Agencies"
- Presentations by Tim Knettler, Ted Lutterman and Vera Hollen
- State spending and states with current budget shortages
- Behavioral Health Grant Reductions in the FY17 Budget: Communication Plan - presentation by Randall Burns
- Use and Funding of State Hospital Beds
- Innovative Uses of Technology To Address The Needs Of Justice-Involved Persons With Behavioral Health Issues