The State Mental Health Forensic Directors hereby organize in support of the interests and purposes of the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors in the development and operation of forensic programs and facilities.
Administration of mental health forensic systems requires understanding and integration of at least four distinguishable fields:
- Behavioral Science;
- Legislation and Law, and
Forensic service systems are the result of planning, development, and operation in diverse endeavors including:
- Mental Health evaluation and treatment services to courts and custody facilities;
- Operation of secure hospitals;
- Provision of technical consultation to staff in developing methods of effective recognition and management of areas such as civil commitment, patient's rights and guardianship;
- Development of training of mental health, legal, correctional and administrative professionals; and
- Consultation in the development of sound legislation and administrative rules.
It is the purpose, therefore, of the State Mental Health Forensic Directors, Division of National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors, to gather those individuals directly responsible for the administration of state forensic systems in order to:
- Provide a mechanism for collection, study, discussion, resolution and dissemination of problems, ideas, models, information, and approaches to the planning, development, and operation of state forensic systems, programs and facilities;
- Promote and participate in training and in development of appropriate standards; and
- Improve the quality, effectiveness, and pursuit of excellence in forensic administration.
Executive Committee (as of January, 2023)
|Chairperson||1/1/23 – 12/31/24||Michael Champion, MD||HI|
|Vice Chairperson||1/1/23 – 12/31/24||Sarah Miller, PhD, ABPP||ME|
|Secretary||1/1/23 – 12/31/23||Thomas Kinlen, PhD||WA|
|Member-at-Large||1/1/23 – 12/31/23||Sharon Coleman, MD||IL|
|Past-Chairperson||1/1/23 – 12/31/24||Li-Wen Grace, Lee, MD||NY|
|West||1/1/23 – 12/31/24||Alison Bort, JD, PhD||OR|
|Midwest||1/1/23 – 12/31/24||Jeanette Simmons||MO|
|Northeast||6/1/23 – 12/31/24||Chad Tillbrook, PhD||DC|
|South||1/1/23 – 12/31/24||Karen Bailey, PhD||GA|
Michael Champion, MD (HI)
NASMHPD Commissioner Liaison:
NASMHPD Division Administrators:
Coalition Manager, NASMHPD
Brian Sims, M.D.
Senior Medical Advisor (PT), NASMHPD